Chances are there have been times where you’ve purchased bananas for snacking or smoothies and they’ve over-ripened before you could eat them. Instead of a simple banana bread recipe, why not try spicing it up a bit and adding some additional tasty ingredients. If you love blueberries and chocolate, you’re gonna want to try out this recipe.
Prep time: Only 10-15 minutes Baking time: 60-65 minutes
5 ripe bananas (that have already started to brown)
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 of a tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 cup hot water
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup Walnut pieces chopped (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (which is about 176 degrees C) and grease a 9 x 5 inch bread loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the oil and honey together, preferably with a mixer, but you could use a spoon. (Note: to make sure most of the ingredients go into the batter use a pyrex glass measuring cup and add the oil to the batter first, then without washing it add the honey to the same glass measuring cup…that way when you pour it in, almost all of it will slide out into the batter with most of the remaining oil. This prevents the honey from sticking to the glass.)
- Next add the eggs and thoroughly mix
- Mash the bananas with a fork on a large plate and add to batter
- Stir the vanilla and bananas into the batter
- Add the salt, cinnamon and the flour and mix.
- Add the baking soda to a small bowl or cup containing the hot water
- Add the baking powder to the mix
- Fold the blueberries and chocolate chips in and mix.
Once you’ve prepared the batter, pour it into the pan and place it in the oven for 55 minutes. Once the timer goes off, bring it out and test it with a toothpick or butter knife….if it comes out clean it’s ready, if not and a lot of batter comes out, put it back in for another 5-10 minutes.
While it seems like there are a lot of ingredients in this recipe, if you bake every now and then, you will most likely have many of them already. This is actually a fairly quick recipe to prepare and once it’s ready it’s super tasty! Try it out and let us know how it goes in the comments.
Are there any banana bread recipes you use? What are your favourite additional ingredients to add?
Would you like to save or share this recipe on Pinterest? Feel free to Pin this image —->>